3.07.2012

kony and invisible children

Be warned, this post is a bit heavier than my usual.  I was touched by this viral-video masterpiece.  Aside from my fascination with how this video has become a YouTube sensation, I was moved by watching someone do something motivated by sincerity and love.

The lesson for you and for me from this video is not necessarily to support a specific cause for Africa (although it surely is a worthy cause), but to reevaluate our most urgent efforts, and to assign them a worth, and to re-prioritize our efforts based on what we truly want to stand for.

Before the big unveil of the video (below) can we talk for just a second about the brilliance in marketing that went into this?  Now, do I think that the Kony 2012 campaign holds lessons for marketing managers everywhere? No.  I don't.  Kony 2012 is (or appears to me to be) a sincere effort motivated by love of our fellow man.  Their guerrilla marketing and crowd-sourced marketing are really only applicable for that type of effort.  But man! the action kit, the video, the movement, the messaging, the graphic design, the colors, the social media, the storytelling.  If nothing else, this is a brilliant case study in marketing in our modern day.

I watched the whole video.  I couldn't turn it off.  Really great job to everyone involved:

No comments:

Post a Comment

go on, add your thoughts to my house